Frequently Asked Questions

Why should my student join a fraternity/sorority?
Fraternity and Sorority life (FSL) at the University of Denver has been in existence since 1889. Today the University hosts eight national organizations for men and five national organizations for women.

Membership in a fraternal organization provides undergraduates and alumni with tremendous opportunities for lifelong friendship, leadership development, scholarship enhancement and social interaction.

Our FSL students are scholars, athletes, and campus leaders; they are positively contributing to and benefiting from the University of Denver collegiate experience. FSL organizations have high academic goals for their members, provide a tight knit support system for one another, offer a multitude of leadership opportunities, have a high percentage of involvement in campus activities, provide opportunities to meet different types of people with differing interests, participate in philanthropy and community service events that benefit the community, and allow for their members to belong to an organization that is larger than themselves.

What does the community look like?

Currently, FSL students make up 22% of the student population, and hold positions in Undergraduate Student Government, the University of Denver Programming Board (DUPB), and many other organizations across campus.

What is the best fraternity/sorority on campus?
Great question! Based upon what your student is looking for, we have 22 different answers. We really do not have a “best” chapter on campus. All of our chapters are unique and bring something different to our community. Although there are differences amongst our chapters, all of the chapters come together for community events, hold positions in the governing boards, support one another during their philanthropy and community service events, and hang out together on a social basis. We encourage your student to ask questions about a chapter’s philanthropy, their grade requirements, the chapter’s overall campus involvement, and their brother/sisterhood bond. We have no doubt that your student will be able to find their home away from home within our community.

What programs are offered my student as a FSL member?
Not only are there multiple opportunities within their chapter, but the Executive Councils and the Office of Student Engagement requires each new member to attend a Greek 101 session with Office of Student Engagement staff. Additionally, an FSL Leadership Retreat is held during the Winter quarter to welcome and train our incoming FSL leaders.

What are membership fees/dues?
Membership dues are fees that are assessed by each individual chapter. They often include, but are not limited to, new member fees, insurance, a social fee, a fee to cover the cost of a weekly chapter meal, and a fee to cover the cost of participating in and donating to the various campus/chapter philanthropic events. Membership dues are neither assessed nor collected by the University. The University of Denver does collect the rent for some of the FSL chapter houses. Please visit our FSL Housing page for more information on rent.

When can my student move into the chapter house?
University of Denver has a two-year live-in requirement for first and second year students under the age of 21 who do not live with a parent or legal guardian within a 90-minute radius of the university. First-year students are NOT allowed to move into their FSL chapter house until their second year. In order to be allowed to choose a FSL house as an option, students must complete a Sophomore Approval Form. Choosing their FSL chapter house as a living option will satisfy the two-year live-in requirement.

What is the cost to live in a FSL chapter house?
The costs to live in a FSL chapter house are very comparable to that of living in a residence hall. Each chapter house has different costs associated with it, dependent upon the rent, the food service, and the membership dues. We encourage your student to ask these questions during recruitment. For the most updated and specific cost breakdown, please contact the House Corporation Board for your students’ chapter.

Why was my student NOT approved to live in their chapter house?
In order to be released, a student must meet the overall GPA requirement of a 2.2 and be in Good Standing with the University. Students have the ability to appeal their judicial standing with the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities. The Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities is the only office that can reverse any judicial decisions. Students also have the ability to resubmit their Sophomore Approval form for reconsideration once their overall GPA reaches or exceeds the 2.2 minimum requirement.

What is Sophomore Approval?
Sophomore Approval is a requirement for all rising sophomores who wish to live in their FSL chapter house during their second year. In order to be released, a student must meet the overall GPA requirement of a 2.2 and be in Good Standing with the University.

Does my student need a recommendation to join a fraternity/sorority?
No. It is not necessary for a student to have a recommendation to begin the recruitment process at the University of Denver. If your student has a recommendation, they can submit it either to the Office of Student Engagement or directly to the chapter.

What is the Grade Release form ?
In order to support the academic requirements associated with fraternity or sorority membership at the University of Denver, we require students to authorize the University of Denver to release any grades and grade point average (GPA) to the undergraduate chapter, alumni board, and national or international organization. This release shall be in effect as long as the student is enrolled at the University of Denver and a member of their Greek chapter.

What are the Interfraternity Council (IFC) and the Panhellenic Council (PHC) and the Multicultural Greek Council (MGC) and the National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC)?
The IFC (Interfraternity Council), PHC (Panhellenic Council), MGC (Multicultural Greek Council) and NPHC (National Pan-Hellenic Council)  are the councils that govern fraternity and sorority life at the University of Denver. All four councils (IFC, MGC, PHC, and NPHC) are under the University of Denver’s FSL council umbrella. 

The Interfraternity Council (IFC) is the council that governs the University of Denver’s fraternities under the North-American Interfraternity Conference. Member groups are:

  • Alpha Gamma Omega
  • Beta Theta Pi
  • Lambda Chi Alpha
  • Pi Kappa Phi
  • Sigma Chi
  • Theta Chi
  • Zeta Beta Tau

The Panhellenic Association (PHA) is the council that governs the University of Denver’s sororities under the National Panhellenic Conference. Member groups are:

  • Alpha Delta Chi
  • Alpha Phi
  • Chi Omega
  • Delta Delta Delta
  • Delta Gamma
  • Delta Zeta
  • Gamma Phi Beta

The Multicultural Greek Council (MGC) is the council that governs the University of Denver’s multicultural Greek organizations. Member groups are:

  • Kappa Phi Lambda Sorority, Inc.
  • Pi Lambda Chi Latina Sorority, Inc. 
  • Sigma Lambda Beta International Fraternity, Inc. 
  • Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. 
  • Theta Nu Xi Multicultural Sorority, Inc. 

The National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) is the council that governs the University of Denver’s NPHC  organizations. Member groups are:

  • Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.
  • Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
  • Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.

What is hazing?
University of Denver and the Office of Student Engagement defines hazing to be: Any action or situation which recklessly or intentionally (on or off fraternity or sorority property), endangers the mental or physical health or safety of a student or willfully destroys or removes public or private property for the purpose of affiliation initiation/admission or as a condition for continued membership in any organization recognized as a fraternity or sorority by University of Denver. Examples of conduct which would violate University of Denver's Code of Student Conduct and Regulations may include, but are not limited to:
1. All forms of physical activity not part of an organized, voluntary athletic contest or not specifically directed toward constructive work. 2. Any activity (including voluntary athletic contests and constructive work) that might reasonably bring harm to the individual. 3. Paddling, beating or otherwise permitting undergraduate or alumni members to hit other individuals. 4. Requiring individuals to wear any degrading or uncomfortable garments. 5. Depriving individuals of the opportunity for sufficient sleep, decent and edible meals, or access to means of maintaining body cleanliness. 6. Activities which interfere with a students’ academic efforts by causing exhaustion, loss of sleep, or loss of reasonable study time. 7. Requiring individuals to consume alcohol or drugs. 8. Forcing, coercing, or permitting students to eat or drink foreign or unusual substances. 9. Having substances thrown at, poured on, or applied to the bodies of individuals. 10. Morally degrading or humiliating games or any other activities that makes the individual the subject of amusement, ridicule, or intimidation. 11. Kidnaps, road trips, scavenger hunts, etc. 12. Subjecting an individual to stressful, psychological conditions for any reason. 13. Any requirement which compels an individual to participate in any activity which is illegal, perverse, publicly indecent, contrary to the individual's genuine moral and/or religious beliefs, or contrary to the Student Code of Conduct and/or policies and regulations of the University. (This list is not meant to be inclusive, but is only meant to serve as an instructional aid)

If a chapter or individual members of that chapter are accused of hazing, that chapter will immediately be given a Cease and Desist order, immediately halting any chapter activities, including but not limited to chapter meetings, social events, and recruitment activities. An investigation into the accusations will be launched immediately.

Who do I contact to find out more information?
Carson Lance, Associate Director of Fraternity and Sorority Life                                                         

or visit our "Contact Us" link on the left hand side of the page.